Your Taco Tuesday is about to be taken to the next level! This is THE taco casserole of your dreams. Yes, you heard me right…it is all that and a side of guac. It is a little time intensive but it is SO simple and worth every single second. Feel free to check my notes at the bottom of the recipe for the best prep and storage suggestions! You will want this on your menu this week!
Prep Time: 25-30 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Yield: 8 servings
For the taco seasoning: for up to 2-2.5 lbs of ground beef
- 3 TBSP of chili powder
- 1 3/4 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of ground cumin
- 2 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper (optional if you do not like any spiciness but it’s really not that spicy)
- 3/4 tsp of onion powder
Ingredients for Casserole:
- 2.25-2.5 lbs of ground beef
- 12 oz bag of frozen cauliflower rice defrosted
- 1 cup of green pepper chopped
- 1 cup of white onion chopped
- 6 oz of tomato paste
- Juice of half of a lime
- 2 cups of lettuce
- 1 cup of Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1-2 cups of cashew cream
- 2 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Optional: 1 cup of guacamole
- If you have the time, soak raw cashews, soak cashews in water for 1 hour before use. If you do not have time, place 1/2-1 cup of cashews into a blender and add 1 cup of water. Blend until smooth. If it is too liquidity, add more cashews, if it is chunky, add more water. Place off to the side.
- Mix all contents of taco seasoning in a small bowl and set to the side.
- Place 1 TBSP of EVOO into a frying pan and cook your taco meat until browned.
- Once the meat is cooked through, add 1/4 cup of water and add taco seasoning and let simmer until water evaporates
- Place the taco meat into a separate bowl and set off to the side for the time being.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a separate, smaller pan and add 1 TBSP of EVOO and cook down the onions and peppers until soft.
- In the same pan that you cooked the taco meat, place the defrosted cauliflower rice and cook until the water has evaporated. Then add salt/pepper and the lime juice.
- Place cauliflower rice evenly across the bottom of a 13 by 9 pan.
- In the pan that held the taco meat and the cauliflower rice, place taco meat, onions, and peppers back into the pan. Add in tomato paste and mix together until evenly distributed.
- Add the taco meat mixture on top of the cauliflower rice in the 13 by 9 pan and spread it evenly across.
- Place cashew cream across casserole evenly (I only put it on the one half so people who wouldn’t like cashew cream can eat the other half happily)!
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until warmed completely through.
- Wash lettuce and chop into small pieces.
- Chop tomatoes into small chunks.
- Remove casserole out of the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Add lettuce, tomato, and guacamole on top!
- DIG IN!!!!!!!
Note: If you do not plan on eating the entire casserole right away, I suggest putting the lettuce and tomato on the side and only adding it on top when you do plan on eating it. Therefore, you won’t be heating it up with the lettuce and tomato which may make it wilt.
Note: If you are not doing Whole 30 or any other special lifestyle diet, feel free to add sour cream, cheese, or any other toppings that suit your tastebuds!
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, SHARE IT WITH ME @TASTEITWITHTAYLOR ON INSTAGRAM. IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW!