Try saying “Savory Summer Salmon Salad” five times fast…I triple dog dare you. While the name of this dish may be a tongue twister, this dish is very simple. There are a lot of moving parts to this dish, but the ingredients are simple and all in all, it is an easy recipe. As a wise teacher of mine once said, always follow KISS, “Keep It Simple, Stupid”, and I follow KISS in my everyday cooking.
This salad is inspired by a bar in State College, PA where I got my degree at Penn State University. I know you are thinking, “Taylor, a salad at a bar changed your life?”. The answer is, yes. I was participating in my second Whole 30 at the time and my roommate and I were so hungry, we stopped at Champs Downtown where I got this fabulous salad. I ordered it without the blue cheese, but they accidentally put it on. While I tried to remove as much as possible, there was still a little blue cheese taste, and quite honestly it was amazing. I knew one day I wanted to recreate this beauty at home, and along came this blog post. I do make my salmon in the air fryer and then finish it on the stovetop, but you can grill it, bake it, or cook it all on the stovetop if that is what your prefer. I have the Ninja Foodi and it make looks expensive, but it literally does everything you want so.
If you do not have a vegetable spiralizer, that is fine, but also go buy one. It will change your life and make your food 10x cuter. My mom bought me mine years ago at Aldis, but here is a link to one I know people love and adore.
So you want to spiralize your carrots and your zucchini. Spiralizing a carrot is not as easy as it looks but if you start with the thicker side of the carrot (or the top where the stem would be) you should be fine. Below you can find the ingredients and instructions for how to make this masterpiece.
SAVORY SUMMER SALMON SALAD
- air fryer
- 1 lb salmon
- 1 bag of salad
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (omit for W30)
- 1 zucchini
- 3 large carrots
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBSP olive oil extra virgin
- My Ninja Foodi does not need to be preheated when I air fry, but if yours does, preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees.
- If you do not already have hard boiled eggs handy, this is how you do it. 1. Put your eggs into a pot and fill the pot with cold water until the eggs are covered. 2. Then place the stove on HIGH heat until the water comes to a steady rolling boil. 3. At that point, turn off the heat, but keep the eggs on the burner and let sit for 10-12 minutes. 4. Take them off the heat, and put them in freezing cold water for 3-5 minutes, then peel.
- After you put the eggs in the pot and on the stove, start also doing these steps below (multitask- you can do it!)
- If your salmon is not already cut, cut it into two filets and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Take the cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder and split the mixture evenly across the two salmon filets.
- Place the salmon into the air fryer for 7-8 minutes.
- During those 7-8 minutes, while also not forgetting about your eggs, start to spiralize your zucchini and carrots.
- When the salmon is about done in the air fryer, place a frying pan on the stove at MEDIUM HIGH, let it get hot, and add the EVOO to the pan.
- Transfer the salmon to the pan and place the seasoned top down for 4-5 minutes or until nicely browned/blackened. I always happen to buy salmon that has the grey skin on the side. You have two options: 1. You can eat it Or 2. your can cut it off – it is easier to remove once you have cooked it so I would recommend cooking it and then cutting it off now!
- Split your bagged salad (or whatever lettuce your soul desires) onto two plates.
- Place spiralized veggies on lettuce, top with salmon, add blue cheese crumbles, hard boiled egg, and squeeze lemon over top of it all!
- It really be that good. So enjoy it and let me know if you make it friends!
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, SHARE IT WITH ME @TASTEITWITHTAYLOR ON INSTAGRAM. IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW!